Apologies to all for taking such a long break from my blogging. I have just been having so much fun, I haven't gotten a chance to sit and write. Well, let's start with my last "off week," which was Easter week. The Hernandez Family was in full force - mom and dad were both here, the Atlanta crew was here and my brother Mike made his rounds to visit! On April 1st, we had a baby shower for my sister-in-law, Shannon, and my soon-to-be niece, here in Fresno. What a blast we had ... family in town from Manteca, cousins from San Jose, my aunt from Louisiana, and the list goes on. There was a great turn-out and it couldn't have been better ... good company and treats for the baby! Boy, little girl stuff is just soooo cute! I can't wait to have a girl in the family finally!
I have to admit, although I didn't do any work, just the shear excitement of having the family in town got me pretty tired. During the shower, I was so happy to see everyone, but I got worn-out. I think the larger the crowds, the more tired I get ... it's weird, but I get like that in church too (that might be Grandma Parker though too!). During Shan's shower, I made my first official debut as a hair-free woman, donned with the bonnet and all! I felt fine going out like this and was prepared, so I thought ... until the flashes of the cameras began to flicker. That was strange ... I didn't like it that much. My family has always been big on taking pictures, so I should have expected this. But in a way, I feel like my picture was being taken more because I have cancer ... I know, it's probably in my head. I was paranoid and not certain how I felt about having my picture taken being hair-free with a big belly. It's not like we have a shortage of pictures of me in my family ... we have lots, trust me. All I know is that I wasn't sure how I felt. I could fairly say I didn't like having the pictures taken, but I didn't seem to have a vote. Oh well, I had to be broken in sometime or another ... being a Hernandez I don't think I get much of a vote when it comes to picture-taking.
I have since seen some of the pictures, and albeit a little disturbing for me to see, it is at the same time, a little reaffirming also. I have to get use to the new me, I suppose. This is me. I have no hair, I have a belly like I have never had before, I think I am a little pale and I have chemo-burns on my face. This is me. But I also have a smile glued on my face that tells the story of my hope and joy. This is me. I appreciate that the pictures have captured my spirit. The physical changes my body is going through is difficult, very difficult for me to see. I am not sure how I feel about those physical changes being documented. But I am pleased to see that my eyes and my smile speak volumes about my spirit. Thank you my crazy family and relatives for not giving me a vote and documenting this journey. As hard as this is, one day our son will know just how much hope and joy he (and being with the rest of my family) brought to me during this trying time.
The rest of the week was spent in San Diego visiting family and friends. The weather was terrible, but it is San Diego, so needless to say, it was beautiful. Rigo and I just love San Diego! Things were pretty mellow for us, the weekend full of walks at Bonita Park and the outlets. We said our good-bye's to the Atlanta family, which is always a tough thing to do, but next time we visit, there will be two new little ones ... a girl and a boy! And that was the week. Dad was relieved of duty and stayed back in San Diego until my next "big week."
Mom came back with Rigo, Tiki and I, as she was still "on duty." True to form, when she eventually left at the end of the week, not only could I not find any of my dishes or linens in my house, I had another six dozen chocolate chip cookies in my arsenal. Yes, six dozen, not quite nine dozen like her last stay, but six, which is plenty Ma! My mom and dad are so different, but in the perfect way! I truly get the best of both worlds with them as my parents. And no, I don't have a favorite. When Dad is here, he makes sure I stay in bed and eat plenty. He is very quite and tries so very hard not to disturb me. When Mom is here, she reminds me how nice it must be not to work and that there are a million and one things to get done around here before the baby comes. Let's get to it ... she doesn't even let my poor dear Tiki rest! And yes, true to her form, she finds enough time and energy to get a million and two things done! In one day, she cleaned out all of my closets, reorganized them and cleaned the garage out completely, which was quite a task, all the while cooking up her delicious dishes of deviled-eggs and hamburger meat goulash! In case some of you didn't know and haven't figured it out by now, I have a Jewish mother! : ) And I love her and dad all the same!
This last weekend, I was honored to have my dear, dear girlfriends come and visit me. Seven of my dear friends, each a friend from high school, some I have known since the fourth grade, came to Fresno to visit. The girls and I have all stayed in close touch since high school, but since we all live so far away from each other (with real-life duties like paying rent, getting to work, some of us on the weekend shift, spending time with our significant others, some with children, and trying to maintain a clean supply of chonies), we do not get to visit as much as we'd like. In fact, in the three years I have been back in Fresno, they have not gotten a chance to visit us in Fresno yet (a thing called life keeps them busy, I know ... I was there just two months ago)! So, this was a big treat for me ... Rigo helped out by running to the store and getting us snacks for the weekend (100 percent junk ... thanks babe).
In the days leading up to their visit, I would tell my "new" Fresno friends that I was having my high school friends visit ... all seven of them at once. The response was always the same ... "wow, that is great you guys stayed so close and in touch." I never realized how lucky I am to have these ladies in my life, I though it was natural. Everyone stayed friends with their grade school and high school counterparts. But I now realize what a rare blessing it is to still be friends with so many wonderful ladies who have been in my life for such a long time.
Thank you ladies for taking the time, the energy and incurring the cost (hello, have you seen gas prices) to come stay with me and spoil me rotten. Your presence lifted my spirit to a place it hasn't been in a very long time. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard for such a long time. From the time you all arrived, to when you left, I couldn't stop smiling with joy! You guys are hilarious! I love your lightheartedness and humor! And I was touched (and have to say a little impressed) by your sincerity and concern for the baby and I ... I am soooo very happy and grateful we were all able to get together. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I pray you left our home knowing that I am okay and baby and I will conquer this battle. With the support from my family and friends, we will be okay. We are okay. Thanks in part to all your efforts ... we are okay. Thanks ladies!
No comments:
Post a Comment