Yesterday I completed my third cycle of this round of chemotherapy. (After I deliver the baby, we anticipate beginning a new round of chemo with a set of different drugs.) We are halfway done ... Congratulations baby Ledezma ... you are halfway done too! Last week, my "big chemo" week, was pretty smooth. In my earlier post, I wrote about how my mom was in town and helped out with things. She kept the house under control. As typical with the other weeks of chemo, I had my share of cat-naps. There hasn't been much noticeable pain associated with the chemo. My biggest complaint is the fatigue, but I have the time and ability to nap when I need too. When I overdo it, which has happened a few times, I can keep up, but I pay the price later. Trust me, I have been in situations where I am having too much fun and should throw in the towel, but don't. When I get home or get down-time, I crawl into bed with aches and pains. That is the pain I feel with chemo. I think it is just exhaustion at its best ... to the point of throbbing aches. All that subsides after a few hours of sleep, which thankfully, I am not having problems with anymore.
My oncologist, Dr. Perkins, gave me another stamp of approval last week (and this week). My WBC is higher than its been ... I have been in the 4,000 to 5,000 range, which is fine. My lowest point was 2,000, so I am doing better. My hemoglobin is pretty low, 9.1, which is a little concerning to the doc. Ideally, I would be getting Procrit on a daily basis, but with the baby, I can't. The low hemoglobin is a direct result of the chemo, but with most patients, they can treat it. Just not with me. I am not sure why I need hemoglobin, but I do know the low count results in fatigue, shortness of breath and dizziness ... all of which I have. But, hey, I am pregnant ... who isn't fatigued, have shortness of breath and get dizzy! Thank you pregnant friends ... I am humbled by the side-effects of chemo thanks to pregnancy!
Dr. P reminded me that since I am not working right now, make sure to get my walks in ... he recommended two walks a day (HA)! I miss running (jogging) dearly and look forward to getting back to that. In the meantime, Tiki and I are trying to get a walk in a day ... we can handle about 2-3 miles a day, but at the end of the walk ... Tiki needs a nap more than I do! My appetite is great ... pregnancy certainly has one-up on chemo in this arena ... I have no problem getting food down. The desire to eat is ever-present and the supply of food is steady ... yes, a supply for two! As much as I hate to admit it, I am happily gaining weight every week ... and the baby is doing great! It is so funny seeing all my various doctors and them being so pleased with my weight-gain! It is hilarious ... the stamp-of-approval for gaining weight.
As for the baby, we had another ultrasound last week. We are 24 weeks, so just began our six month! He is looking better than ever ... oh those feet are adorable! He had his feet crossed at the ankles ... I love him! As for his face, buster-brown was being a little stubborn and was not feeling it ... he refused to take his hands away from his face and after about 10 minutes of trying, he decided enough was enough and flipped over in the fetal position so all the doc and I saw was his little booty on the ultrasound screen. Needless to say, he is doing just fine. His measurements came in right on track ... he was 1 lb., 3 oz. with a heartbeat of 150 bpm! Our baby furniture arrives the first week of May and mama couldn't be anymore excited for that! I can't wait to start putting his room together (now that Grandma cleaned the room out)!
I had my "little chemo" yesterday. So far, so good. One nap yesterday, but otherwise, no nausea. I am on my own this week ... Rigo took me to chemo, but no mom or dad here. I miss them, but we chat on the phone several times a day. Rigo is taking great care of me and I am enjoying the break. Rigo is constantly checking in and my friends are calling to make sure I am okay. I am okay. I am doing well. I mean, the baby is doing great, so I couldn't be any better. I have a beautiful life growing (yes, growing) inside me. It is so amazing. I have cancer. I am on chemo, which is killing so much of the cancer, but also so much of the healthy me too ... my hair, my nails (which are now black), my skin, it is all going through so many changes because of the chemo. But my baby is getting bigger and bigger and he is developing his own little personality ... with just the right amount of stubbornness! What a champ, atta boy! I am okay, we are okay.
As an aside, spring has sprung and 'tis the season for races and runs and more! I have been contacted by family and friends in the most special way ... letting me know that they are participating in charity runs in support of me. I hate having cancer. Let me be crystal clear, cancer sucks. But is there any other experience in life which a single person gets to see the good in so many people. I have never before paid much attention to the actions of others. But, under these circumstances, the actions of others are truly carrying me along ... and I thank God that the actions of others are so good, so pure and so genuine. Thank you for participating in such a good cause, now MY cause, and thank you for doing it in support of baby and I. I hope to make it out to most of the events to support you in your accomplishment, but if I cannot, you are in my thoughts. This time next year, I will meet you at the finish line! : )
FYI, the Clovis Rodeo is having a pink night to benefit the Komen Foundation on Friday, April 27th. The Fresno Relay for Life is May 5th, the Race for the Cure in Sacramento is May 12th, the Tracy and Clovis Relay for Life is May 19th. In October, breast cancer awareness month, the Fresno Race for the Cure takes place and my SIL, Shannon is walking the 3-Day Walk in Atlanta for breast cancer awareness. The 3-Day Walk will be in San Diego in November. Any and all donations to participants is a tax write-off and in the meantime, you can buy breast cancer stamps (hurry, before the prices go up)! : )
Thanks for your thoughts, messages and prayers. We are okay. We will be okay. We made it through half of the chemo treatment. The next half will be a piece of cake. Bring it on ...
Jamie, how are you doing? This is jenny carlos from fresno state mock trial! I miss you, and hope you the baby and your hubby are doing nothing more than phenomenal. We are here for you, and we miss you! You are an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteJamie,
ReplyDeleteThat is so wonderful, there is nothing in this world as wonderful as feeling your little one kick and roll around. I'm so excited for you, being pregnant is amazing and even more when you can hold him in your arms. God bless you guys.
Love ya - Lori