Monday, May 11, 2009

Don't Sweat the Small Things

Mother's Day. Today is a blessing that I am eternally grateful for. Today I had a beautiful day with my family. Today brought much laughter to boost my spirits and love to comfort my heart.

Blake, Rigo and Poppo took me to a quaint breakfast for crepes and coffee and then we headed out to see the animals at the zoo. Blake is so funny. He has been to the zoo about a dozen times already, but at each and every exhibit, his eyes widen really big, his mouth drops open and he gasps with shock and surprise at what he sees whether it is a bird, zebra or sheep all the while pointing his finger left to right at every single animal. He is hilarious! Seeing his overworked, developing little mind was the greatest gift I could have gotten today.

Today is Mother's Day. I am grateful to have made it to my second "official" Mother's Day. Today, I remembered my dear friends, Shawna and Kelly, both who were young mothers, wives and daughters, but also two very dear friends of mine. It is strange that when I drive by the cemetery, I notice how many people are visiting.

I realize just how precious life is and what a gift it is considering my encounter with breast cancer and the passing of my dear, dear friends just a month ago, barely 29 and 34 years old. But nonetheless, I too get wrapped up with the small stuff. Rigo can attest to that ... "I do!"

But today my childhood BFF lost her mother. Today, on Mother's Day, one more mother was sent to heaven.

Despite my perspective, I too get wrapped up with the little things. As if breast cancer wasn't enough; I have Shawna, Kelly and Cindy to keep it all in perspective. Brave mothers who travel The Path before us, please keep the light burning.

Thank you for this Mother's Day and for the gift of life.

With Hope,

Jamie
Blake's Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment