What am I talking about?
Every chemo patient's biggest concern (okay, at least every 20-something chemo patient's biggest
concern) ... MY HAIR!
concern) ... MY HAIR! Yes, today was a monumental milestone day for me and my new 'do. I was walking into my office this afternoon. The winds here are gusting at about 20-30 mph, which in short makes it super windy today. As I was walking, I caught a glimpse of my shadow. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my shadow and a tiny piece of hair at the very top of my head blowing in the wind. It was amazing, simply put - amazing. My full head of thick, newly acquired, very, very curly hair which resembles nothing what it looked like before I began this journey (pic in post is hair before chemo) and amongst this thick bushel of curly black hair, a tiny piece made its way to get just long enough to BLOW WILDLY IN THE WIND!
This is huge! Half of the amazement is that I can marvel at such a small and what should be trivial event, assuming this qualifies as an event. Well, an event it is, at least to me. I haven't had enough hair to blow in any which direction for at least 14 months! That one little piece of hair that managed to catch some air today. That piece of hair for a brief moment served as my little carrot dangling right before my eyes leading me towards full and complete recovery.
Life is so strange and this cancer journey has taught me so much in certain ways. Look, this hair victory ... before cancer, I use to waste energy on complaining on a super windy day such as today that my hair was in my face and getting all tangled and simply act bothered by the wind and its effect on my hair. Now, in just a few short months, I have come to relish in the simple joy of a tiny little strand of hair at the top of my head blowing in the wind.
Blow strand, blow.
Today was a victory. Life is good, oh yes it is.
Wow, u r a beautiful woman. I hope to see u at the reunion. Congratulations on your baby boy! He is soooooo cute......
ReplyDeleteangelica lopez