Friday, October 12, 2007

The Countdown Is On ...

Dad, Rigo and I are in the Stanford Hospital waiting for my 7am check-in for surgery. It is a dark, rainy morning here in Palo Alto ... a little ironic I think. Yesterday was again, in typical fashion (from my experience with Stanford thus far), rather disappointing. Hours and hours of doctors appointments and noone really seeming to know what the heck is going on. You put so many smart people together and this is what you get ... ugh!

Nonetheless, I had stickers, also referred to as BB Placements, put around my tumor to help the surgeon make her incision and I had a lymnomography(sp) done which entails 6 injections (shots) at the base of my nipple ... it was just as bad as it sounds, but with a little (or a lot) of tongue biting, we made it through that. The doc said she's never seen anyone handle that procedure as well as I did ... hehehehe .... it is so funny being a patient, a cancer patient at least. I continually notice myself adapting my behavior in order to please and accomodate my doctors. I often hear about this compared to as the cancer patient wanting to get a stamp of approval from their doctor, that "A" mark from the teacher with a handwritten note of "good job" on your paper. Yep, once a nerd, always a nerd ... that's me! Blake's Mama ...

Speaking of my little squirt, he is sleeping with Grandma Julie at the hotel still. Blake spent the ENTIRE day with us at the hospital yesterday and as much as I love having him around, it didn't feel right keeping him here all day. Rigo will go get Blake tonight to visit me once I get into my own hospital room.

So, 17 more minutes to go ... but who's counting ... 16 now.

I am going to sign off for my last time as a natural-breasted woman. Next time I sign on, I won't have my breasts, but I also WON'T HAVE CANCER! Amen to that ...

Love and gratitude to all ... let's hope there is some sun shining when I wake up.

James

4 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers...

    Elisa Brady
    (Megan Reed's Friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. James-
    You are an awesome, strong woman (and a fun nerd that people actually like)!
    We're thinking about you and sending lots of prayers your way.
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you. Thank god for strong and positive women like yourself to help others in their struggles. Thank you for sharing so much with me. I am stronger each day because of you!

    ReplyDelete