Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Right Back At It ...

Yep, we are back at it already. Our first round of chemo is under our belt and we are back on track to beating this thing. So much for my chemo-free hiatus! It was nice while it lasted ...

On Monday, July 30th, we had our first go of Taxol. I am getting dose dense chemo (heavier doses over a shorter period of time ... a total of 4 cycles over 8 weeks). The actual administering of the chemo is a lot longer, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours of chemo, making the total doctor's visit 5 to 6 hours. Because the doses are heavier, my body is getting a lot more beat up, including my immune system. I am getting an injection 7 days following chemo to increase my white blood cell counts. Yes, A LOT of doctor's visits!

So, daily shots and chemo every other week ... that's where we are at with my treatments. How do I feel? Worse than ever ... this go around is beating me up ... I am on vicadon around the clock and in constant pain, bone ache and numbness. Thankfully, this will be over before I know it!

I am so very sorry for taking such a long time to update my blog. I get you all to the exciting part, baby, and seemingly stop updating. I bet you all are thinking, "oh, she must be so busy with that baby." Well, yeah, I am busy, but that is not why I am not writing anymore ... it is because of a side-effect that I am having from my treatments, neuropathy ... numbness in my hands and feet. I have no sensation except a tingly sensation in my fingers, so typing is quite difficult. Anything with my hands is difficult, helping dress Blake, buttons, eating popcorn! But thankfully, this to shall pass (hopefully, we don't expect it to be permanent).

My doctor is aware of how hard this round has been and he is cautious about continuing treatment. He wants to proceed with caution and thinks he may postpone my treatments out a few weeks to give me additional time to recover. Part of me rather just get it all over with, but the other part of me really would like to use my hands without cringing.

My hair is falling out again (I kept it shaved short for the most part) and my nails are gross-out black, but I expected these side-effects and both are tolerable. Blake doesn't seem to mind his Mama is bald.

As for my little guy, where do I start? I had an ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL labor ... I know, it sounds so strange, but God blessed me and cut me some slack when it came to delivering! Thank you! We got to the hospital at 7am and Blake was born at 1pm, and I was laughing during the pushing! Really, it was a fabulous experience and we had a healthy baby boy with a full head of hair! My little miracle!

Blake turned 5 weeks old this weekend. He is so, so much bigger ... at his last doctor's appointment, he weighed 7 lbs., but Rigo and I are certain he is tipping the scale at 8 lbs. by now. All the weight is going straight to his cheeks! Blake has quite an appetite, which makes me very proud ... he is eating 4 to 5 ozs. every 3 hours! In the last 5 weeks, Blake has been to San Diego, Livermore, Manteca, shopping, the beach, on lots of walks at the park, and has had tons of visitors! In the last two days, I have noticed that Blake's eyes are starting to follow my voice, which makes me melt with happiness! I love being Mom and every time I look at him, I see a perfect miracle ... that is good, miracles DO HAPPEN! I can't wait until he starts smiling this week or next week.

The first day of school is tomorrow, so Rigo is back at work. My parents and Grandma Linda have been in town a lot to help out since I started my treatments. Blake loves having his grandparents around!

Thank you all for your support and prayers. We are so blessed to have Blake in our lives and all of you to share him with!

1 comment:

  1. congratulation Jamie, wow happy for you

    been keeping up with your blog – and really you have been through ALOT

    all of us generation after Grandma Parker kids, need and have to stay on top, of things of this world – we are what is left of this dying breed, earth has said we must take care of!

    really take care of yourself, bless
    you and baby Blake on your continuing appoints with chemo
    cousin Jason & aunt Peni

    ReplyDelete