Here we are with one more treatment of chemo left, at least for now. This Monday is my last round of chemo for the time being. I look back over the last four months and am simply amazed at what we have been through. We made it! Yes we did ... I couldn't be any prouder of my baby and my family for helping me get through this ugly phase.
We did it! I remember imagining last February "how am I ever gonna make it through this?" And now, here we are ... we are done ... even better, we are OKAY! We are okay.
Looking back, the hair loss was one of the most difficult experiences over the last few months. I am comfortable with a bald head now, but I remember the loss of the hair was tormenting! The best part of this is seeing the kindness in so many people, from close loved ones, to distant friends, and complete strangers ... I have had an amazing experience with some of my relationships and the growth that has happened in just a few months. All of you have helped make Blake, yes it is Blake, Blake and I okay!
Where do we go from here? What is the next step? How do I achieve the end goal because we are definitely not at the end of the road yet?
Well, I will fill you all in on what I know for now, but for the most part, many unanswered questions remain. Part of that is our fault ... Rigo and I have been focused on treatment and getting the baby here. Now that he is almost here, we need to sit down with the doctors and decide what is next.
I am done with chemo (FAC cocktail) this Monday, June 18th! My oncologist will be giving me at least 2 more months (maybe 2 months) of chemo (Taxol cocktail) beginning July 30th. So, I have six weeks off, chemo-free baby! Excited to see how the hair responds! Guess I have to go pick up some razors since I threw them all out!
Taxol is a single drug I will be getting on either 2 week or 3 week cycles. It will result in hair loss, muscle and joint aches, black nails will stick around and some nausea, but primarily fatigue ... basically, nothing is changing. The drug takes 3 hours to administer, so about the same again as to what I am getting now. The office policy at my doctors is no children allowed, but the nurses are adamant that Blake has to go to see his many "aunties." We'll see ... not sure if having him there in the infusion room will make me feel better or worried about him. Not like I am very mobile in there, but Rigo or someone is always with me to help.
So, six weeks of no chemo from Monday until my next round. That means Blake has to arrive sometime between now and then, and hopefully then ... not now! : ) My oncologist recommended I give birth on July 16th, but after explaining to him how very important astrological signs are, I convinced him July 23rd would be acceptable, although not preferable to him. (July 16 is a Cancer, July 23 is a Leo ... no offense Cancers.) The doctor is concerned my counts have time to bounce back after I deliver and before chemo and he also wants to give me some bonding time while I am still healthy, but I really, really want a Leo! I haven't spoken to my OB yet, so the date is still up in the air, but we should know shortly.
I met with my primary OB and tried to catch him up to date on the game plan and he wasn't on board. Definitely wants to go solo and run his own show, so I am firing him ... I will be having my high-risk OB delivering the baby since she is so much more supportive and understanding anyways. The downfall (and yes, it is a major one) is that I have to deliver at downtown Community hospital aka County Hospital ... so, needless to say I may have a crack-addict for a roomie, but I am over it ... I am just so blessed to be here and be having a baby, who care about the hospital. We'll make the best of it ... great stories to share with Blake maybe!
As far as baby goes, he was 3.5 lbs. and 15 inches two weeks ago! His kicks and movements are so strong now, I think he is going to break through my tummy! I love it ... I have had such a wonderful pregnancy. I can't wait to meet my boy, but I know I will miss being pregnant too. Don't get me wrong, I am achy, swollen and drenched in sweat at all hours of the day, but I just think this is so amazing. Really, I can't get over what my body is doing ... parts of me are so weak and dying (nails, hair, veins, etc.) while other parts are just out of control growing (belly, boobs, butt, etc.). It is something!
So, what's next ... what about this cancer thing ... well, we have more chemo down the road. I also met with the Plastic Surgeon in Stanford last week ... to my surprise, I learned he only does the reconstruction, not my mastectomy. So, I still need to meet with a General Surgeon to schedule that ... ugh. For now, Rigo and I learned a lot about what to expect when I undergo reconstruction and we have a lot of decisions to make. We both loved the doctor though ... he had a nice style to him ... very laid-back. We expect to have the surgery and reconstruction in Stanford at the same time, but we don't have any dates yet.
I do not think I will be getting radiation at this point, but I am not sure. I think that depends on whether my lymph nodes test positive for cancer, which we won't know until the surgery ... hmmm. Let's hope for negative-nodes! : )
I think that's about it ... we are ready for this kid to show up and make his debut! Rigo's brother had his daughter last Monday, a beautiful baby girl and my brother is welcoming his first daughter this Monday, baby Lyla. Blake has to hurry up and meet all his cousins! Our bags are ready and we are excited ... the room is complete and ready for some baby cries and baby poop.
We are selling my car to get a four-door, so that is keeping me busy showing it to people. Anyone interested?? : ) Rigo begins summer school on Monday and will be busy with that until July 27th. Poor guy doesn't get a summer this year. He is in the middle of summer ball and has like 13 games in 13 days ... and yes, I think it was 104 degrees today!
Sorry it has taken me so long to post. I will post as soon as I learn new information on the treatment plan. I am eager to learn the delivery date and will share that all as soon as I find out! Thank you for your thoughts, messages and prayers. We are so thankful for the prayers. Although the last few months have been a little difficult, I am very apprehensive to travel this same journey, but with a newborn. Please keep us in your prayers as the next several months will sure be adventurous to say the least.
Thanks for the update. Prayers and thought abound.
ReplyDeleteGo Leos!!!!! I'm one, so is my dad, my grandmother and my son. I'm voting for the 23rd!
ReplyDeleteYou two are amazing! May God bless you always. Looking forward to meeting Blake (the Leo).
ReplyDelete