This Friday, Blake, our baby boy, officially
turns 1-0. Yes, we’ve been celebrating for the past week or so but the official
day is fast approaching. For us, this is big. HUGE, in fact. TEN. Double digits,
baby.
{Thank you, God.}
{Thank you, God.}
I feel like 10 years has really passed in the
blink of an eye. I know that sounds quite cliché. You see, Blake is our
little miracle. I remember the first moment I held him. When they laid
him on my chest and how even in those first moments of life, hints
of his signature smile shone through and I was wrapped in his spirit of hope. From that day forward, Blake
has truly been my beacon of hope.
My little miracle at 6 weeks old.
Now, I know I haven’t been diligent about keeping up this blog, but I do hope one day, Blake will stumble across this blog and read about our journey together. On this milestone birthday, we will be traveling, making memories. So, I’ve decided to write him a letter letting him know what he means to his dad and me and some hopes and promises I have for him.
***
TO MY SON ON HIS 10TH BIRTHDAY
Dearest Blake,
Holy moly, 10 years! Baby, we did it! As
I write this I have tears streaming down my face and that ball in my throat,
not because I’m sad but because I’m so very happy. I am so very proud that
you are my son. Happy Birthday to you, Ponchito!
I really can’t believe you’re 10! It
seems like only yesterday that we brought you home. My pregnancy with you wasn’t
your typical pregnancy but then again, you’re no typical boy. I truly believe
God brought you into our lives at the time he did for a very special reason.
And we are so blessed to see you carrying out God’s work since before you were
even born.
Our itty bitty beacon of hope.
I thought to celebrate a decade together that
I’d write you a little letter. Sometimes people don’t often say how they feel
and today I just felt like I needed to say so much to you. I have some thoughts, wishes and hopes for you celebrate
this birthday …
Be grateful. Your family, your friends, your home, your school
and talents…they are all gifts. Every single day is a gift to cherish, even the
not-so-good days. It is wise to remember to be thankful for what you have
rather than dwell on what you don’t have. And most importantly, always pass on
whatever type of goodness you can. Time, treasure, and talent. You have a kind
soul. That spirit that you carry helps others even when you don’t realize you’re
helping. Remember, someone is always listening and watching. So let your spirit
shine to lift those around you up.
Free spirited 4 year old. Photo by Jeana Penko
Stand up for
those who cannot stand up for themselves. The
older you get, the more you will understand this value. At this moment, you don’t a world
that exists where people are treated differently, but I suspect you will
discover this truth in time. Remember, you can control your own actions. Make your
world one where everyone is an equal. Even in the most insignificant context, your
words matter, always. Be respectful. Appreciate others for what they can do,
not what they look like or what they have or don’t have. And celebrate
differences.
My little constitutionalist/dreamer at the Women's March San Diego, 9 years old.
Negativity isn’t good. Negativity to others and negativity to yourself. If you say bad
things about others it will only make you feel bad. If you say bad things
about yourself that will also make you feel terrible and eat away at you from
the inside out. Instead focus on the positive. The things that make you happy.
Try and focus on the positive things that people say rather than the negative.
I know this is hard.
Focus on the positive biggin’. 4 years old.
Be good to your friends. As an
only child, your childhood looks a bit different than your dad’s and mine. But
know that what you have with your “first” best friends, your cousins, is
something to be cherished. Always turn to them and make sure you are there for
them too.
With your first best friend, cousin Lyla.
Comic Con 2016 with cousin Pace.
True friends
are like the cherry on top in this wonderful journey of life. Some of the most
meaningful relationships in your life will come from your friendships. Trust
and honesty, kindness and empathy, encouragement and support. The support of
your friends in the classroom, on the playground, and on the field has helped
shape you into the awesome boy you are today.
Preschool buddies, Carter and Blakey.
Friendships
take work and there is a lot of compromise that has to happen. It's both give and take. It’s more important
to have a few true friends than a lot of so-so friends. You are reaching an age
that can test the boundaries of those friendships. Continue to be the kind boy
I know you are and lead with your heart.
With your brother from another mother, Barron. 2014
Failing is
good. You won’t always win, pass or succeed. In
fact, you shouldn’t. It is within a loss that you grow, learn and improve. And your dad and I won’t prevent you from making
mistakes (grandma may) but we will always be here to
cheer you on, help you to pick up the pieces and love you through everything. And
when you fail, you will get up and try again. Your confidence will give you the courage to try new
things, to push yourself farther, and to become a better version of yourself.
Not because you know you will succeed, but because you won’t be afraid of failing.
Get back up and keep at it, Big Guy.
Keep at it, Big Guy. 2013.
Sensitivity
is brave. It’s fair to say that you have taught me
more about being sensitive that I can ever teach you. You are such a brave boy always
looking to steal a hug, hold of a hand, or smackaroo at every turn possible. That heart
of yours is gold - always concerned about others. Keep that. Never lose your desire to
show others how you feel about them. But remember, your feelings are just as important.
Your eternal optimist mother wants you to feel safe to have not-so-good days. There
will be times life is hard and unfair. There will be times you just need a good
cry, a shout from your belly, or simply some alone time. That’s okay. We’ll be
here for you. And your friends will be too. Someone will always be there. Part
of being brave is asking for help when you need it. Don’t let anyone tell you
that your heart is anything less than brave.
Oh, the places you'll go!
Work hard and
have fun. My heart absolutely overflows with love and pride
when I watch how you look at your daddy when he is on the baseball field,
whether he is coaching you or you are alongside him at the field with his boys.
You see your dad working but not in the traditional sense that many moms and dads
“work.” Your dad is full of absolute joy when he is on the field with you. If
you have learned anything from your daddy the coach, I hope it is that working
hard, playing hard, and having fun are all equally important – not only on the
field, but in life.
Taking it all in and breaking it down. First grade.
NEVER stop laughing. I know, I know. Sometimes
I scold you for laughing at some less than appropriate times. But at the end of
the day, you’ve got it right. Laughter, baby! Laughter. You are always laughing
and constantly bringing laughter to those lucky enough to be around you. I mean
it when I say you are the funniest person I know. Your sense of humor and easy-going
demeanor (both thanks to your daddy) will serve you well as you navigate your
teen years, college-life, and adulting. Yes, there’s room to work on your timing
and placement, but at the end of the day, your laughter always wins! Never stop
laughing.
My big fish at 9 months old.
Do you and do it well. There
is only one you. And good heavens, do I adore that boy! You are much more creative than me or Daddy. You
see color in everything. Please always use this creative side of yourself.
It is good for your mind and your soul to tap into it, and also, I know, it
makes you happy. I love your sketches, your funny cartoons and just watching
you doodle. Play the piano and learn new instruments. Keep singing and dancing even if it's just in our kitchen. Hearing you sing Hamilton from start to end is the best thing ever! This creative
side compliments your wickedly smart math brain and fascinating imagination.
Yes, that brain of yours simply blows me away. I’ve learned so much from
you about animals and the environment and science. I hope you’ll put all you’ve
learned in these subjects into good use and continue to work hard. One day in
the not too distant future, your brilliant mind will create
solutions to problems stumping experts and most importantly, you will help others!
Find
your passion and serve others. I imagine growing up with a lawma (lawyer mama) isn’t the
easiest and at times, I know I get a little wonky. Maybe one day, you’ll find
yourself in a situation where the wonk will come in handy. But also, I hope you
draw on my love and passion for the law, service, and learning, much like your
dad’s love for baseball and teaching. Daddy and I are very grateful we both have
jobs that we love and we get to help people thanks to our
education. Our hope is that you find a path for your life that brings you the same
joy.
Family
time at the dock, age 9. Photo by Jeana Penko.
In true lawma sense, I recently came across a graduation
speech given by Supreme Court Justice John Roberts. He read this speech to his own
son’s ninth grade class. It resonated with many of the hopes and lessons we
strive to teach you. Some of it may be a little hard to understand now, but I want you to read this anyways. In part, it reads:
From time
to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you
will come to know the value of justice.
I hope
that you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty.
Sorry to
say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don’t take
friends for granted.
I wish
you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the
role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely
deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
And when
you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then, your
opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the
importance of sportsmanship.
I hope
you’ll be ignored so you know the importance of listening to others, and I hope
you will have just enough pain to learn compassion.
Whether I
wish these things or not, they’re going to happen. And whether you benefit from
them or not will depend upon your ability to see the message in your
misfortunes.
Now commencement speakers are also expected to give some advice.
They give grand advice, and they give some useful tips. The most common grand
advice they give is for you to be yourself. It is an odd piece of advice to
give people dressed identically, but you should — you should be yourself. But
you should understand what that means. Unless you are perfect, it does not mean
don’t make any changes. In a certain sense, you should not be yourself. You
should try to become something better. People say ‘be yourself’ because they
want you to resist the impulse to conform to what others want you to be. But
you can’t be yourself if you don't learn who are, and you can’t learn who you
are unless you think about it.
The Greek philosopher Socrates said, ‘The unexamined life is not
worth living.’ And while ‘just do it’ might be a good motto for some things,
it’s not a good motto when it’s trying to figure out how to live your life that
is before you. And one important clue to living a good life is to not to try to
live the good life. The best
way to lose the values that are central to who you are is frankly not to think
about them at all.
So that’s the deep advice. Now some tips as you get ready to go
to your new school. Other the last couple of years, I have gotten to know many
of you young men pretty well, and I know you are good guys. But you are also
privileged young men. And if you weren’t privileged when you came here, you are
privileged now because you have been here. My advice is: Don’t act like it.
When you get to your new school, walk up and introduce yourself
to the person who is raking the leaves, shoveling the snow or emptying the
trash. Learn their name and call them by their name during your time at the
school.
Another
piece of advice: When you pass by people you don’t recognize on the walks,
smile, look them in the eye and say hello. The worst thing that will happen is
that you will become known as the young man who smiles and says hello, and that
is not a bad thing to start with.
You’ve been at a school with just boys. Most of you will be
going to a school with girls. I have no advice for you.
The last
bit of advice I’ll give you is very simple, but I think it could make a big
difference in your life. Once a week, you should write a note to someone. Not
an email. A note on a piece of paper. It will take you exactly 10 minutes. Talk
to an adult, let them tell you what a stamp is. You can put the stamp on the
envelope. Again, 10 minutes, once a week.
Windandsea Beach, 2015.
Ponchito – I am a better person,
a better friend, a better mother, daughter, and yes, human being for having had
you with me on this journey. I realize as I write this that in 10 more years you’ll
be twenty and you’ll be well on your way to being a man. My heart aches knowing
soon (sooner than it will feel right now) that you’ll be starting a whole new path
and journey that won’t always involve me. Listen
to your gut and your heart and follow them. I trust you to know what works for
you, what the right path might be and know that Blake Michael Ledezma needs to
make decisions that are best for him. But know that daddy and I will
always love you and be so very proud of you. No matter what.
Happy Birthday, Blakey,
I love you,
Mama
We’ll always be there. Photo by Jeana Penko.

















No comments:
Post a Comment