Nearly six months ago, I scheduled my 7th surgery for July 30th. Yes, lucky number 7. Seriously. But a few weeks ago, for the first time in my journey with breast cancer, I had a doctor call to reschedule. I didn't ask why (because I don't really care) but I think my surgeon went out of town. The nurse asked to move me up or back a week. But because of my teaching schedule and the anticipated recovery time, I opted to move the surgery to December so I can recover over winter break (and my birthday; margaritas bedside). Even though I was mentally prepared to have this pretty invasive surgery (yes, I have to psych myself up), I was happy it got pushed back so I can finish out the summer with Rigo and Blake.
Well, a short time after the surgery got rescheduled, I received a wonderful surprise - Vera Bradley called to invite Rigo, Blake and I to participate in a photo shoot for their Spring, 2011 catalog in Malibu. Guess when? On July 30th. When the invitation came, I immediately knew I had something on that date, but I couldn't recall what (alas, chemo brain). Then I remembered it was my long-anticipated surgery. But then I remembered it had been cancelled! We're in.
So, last weekend, on a day I was suppose to be checking into the hospital to be butchered open and sewn up for a 7th time ... I was on the Malibu shore with my two best men and a host of amazing professionals! I'm not a big believer in coincidences. Not so much. Everything happens for a reason. If I've learned anything from this ride with cancer, it's just that - it all happens for a reason. And in this case, a very good reason.
Vera Bradley went above and beyond and hosted our family at the Delfina Hotel in Santa Monica for the weekend. We were treated to a stellar stylist. Stacey, I love you! Awesome hair and makeup artist. Rick, you spoiled me (and I loved every second of it)! World-class fashion photographer. Dominique, we were awed by you and your team! A set donned with classic cars and surf boards which went by the wayside with an impromptu run along the shore and INTO the tides to appease Blake. VB Team and Company, you spoiled Blake; thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
Dolphin sightings. Lots and lots of dolphins. Dinner at the Promenade. Coffee on the Pier. Bike rides along the boardwalk. Jaunts in Venice. Afternoon dips. Lunch with great friends.
Best of all, many cherished memories of the warm welcome and blanket of compassion from our old/new Fort Wayne, Chicago, LA friends. Thank you Vera Bradley for a fairytale of a weekend and for making our family feel a part of the Vera Bradley Family.
Heidi Floyd, the amazing force behind all of this - Congratulations Sister-Friend for making it 5 years deep and thank you for being my beacon of hope. Cheers to many, many more!
If interested, please visit the Vera Bradley Breast Cancer Foundation at www.verabradleyfoundation.blogspot.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment