Wow, the past few months have been a whirlwind for me. I couldn't be happier that while my life has been full of breast cancer related causes, none of it has been directly related to my own journey with breast cancer (well, not entirely - but I'll sum up all that in a separate post).
On my third cancerversary, the day I was diagnosed, Valentine's Day, Vera Bradley, invited me to participate in their Fall 2010 Catalog. Yes, as a model (I know, the only modeling gigs I can line up are because I had breast cancer but I'll roll with it - hahaha)! I couldn't have even dreamt up a more "fairytale day" to spend with Rigo, in Sausalito, on a surprisingly clear day for the Bay, on Valentine's Day, celebrating survivorship! Barbara Bradley, one of the founders of the company, was on location and was so gracious to Rigo and I. She is one of the most humble and genuine women I have had the chance of meeting. Her amazing nature is evident in the work she does and all she gives to help make the lives of women facing breast cancer a little more brighter. Vera Bradley features a breast cancer collection to support their breast cancer foundation, and the collection happens to be a fabulous pattern! The makeup artist was classic and reminded me a lot of the wedding planner from Father of the Bride. Don't get me wrong, he was amazing, but classic all the same. The stylist was my favorite - one of those kindred spirits that just fills you with a sense of comfort and peace as soon as you meet; an instant connection. And the 'fotog and his crew were so sensitive and patient with me! The location was breathtaking and was complete with the motor home where the models would get transformed. It was unbelievable to be able to be part of such a production and I am forever grateful to Vera Bradley and my dear friend Heidi, for welcoming Rigo, Blake and I, to the Vera Bradley family.
My last post mentioned that I went up to Sacramento on behalf of the Central Valley Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure in early February. All seven of the California Affiliates came together with dozens of advocates and survivors, along with Komen National, to help make our event a huge success for all intents and purposes.
I met an amazing young woman last year, Carlie, who joined me on my day-trip to Sacramento. She and I asked our state leaders to make women in California a top priority and preserve the Every Woman Counts Program during the heated budget negotiations that are currently underway.
The update as to the EWC Program is that we have had over overwhelming support for the program by leaders in both the assembly and senate. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean we have found a solution to protect the program from severe cuts in funding, thereby threatening the continued existence of the program which serves California's most vulnerable women (and quite simply, saves lives). Nonetheless, the California Komen Affiliates are continuing their efforts to ensure that the EWC Program fully reinstates services to ensure that women ages 40 and over receive annual mammograms if they can't afford one otherwise.
In April, my BFF and co-survivor, Leslie Soley and I, traveled to Washington, DC, to be a part of the Komen National Lobby Days. Aside from the fact that Leslie and I spent a fabulous week together - shopping, dining and visiting, we are grateful that we had the opportunity to meet with various Congressmen from the Central Valley, along with representatives from Senator Boxer and Feinstein's office. The lobbying call by breast cancer advocates and survivors was to highlight the need to ensure that women and men receive the best available screening methods and treatments even though health care reform has passed. Much more work needs to be done to win the war against breast cancer. Simply put, I loved my time in DC; there is a certain magic to the city, the aura , the history, the passion and the beauty. And I count my blessings that I am fortunate enough to head east to raise awareness about something so close to my heart.
Thanks to all my family, friends and perhaps the stranger or two, that took the time to vote for me to win MLB's "Going to Bat Against Breast Cancer" Mother's Day Honorary Bat Girl for the SF Giants. Wow. What an amazingly unforgettable experience for not only me, but for my entire family! Initially, I had hoped Rigo and I would get some sweet seats behind home plate to enjoy the game. But then the call came ... not only would I not be sitting with my family during the game, I would actually be on the third baseline as the Ball Dudette ... in a full baseball uniform! Considering I haven't put a glove on since I was 9 years old (and I quit softball after I got a fat lip), this Ball Dudette component quickly became one of the most nerve-racking experiences of my life. In the week leading up to my Big League Debut, I received more "tips" from everyone (but mostly men) than I ever had before on any other endeavour - you know, when you're pregnant, buying your first home or a car, people love to tell you what you should or shouldn't do ... yes, apparently everyone knew about this Ball Dudette gig and yes, they all have a take on the best approach. Since I quite frankly didn't know squat about being a Ball Dudette, I was fully engaged in whether I should dive for the foul ball or not.
The entire experience was more than we could have ever imagined. My parents, brother, Rigo, Blake and I were invited onto the field for batting practice before the park even opened. We were given access to the clubhouse, the dugout, the players and the amazing crew that helps make this the greatest game ever. My only hope when I threw my name in for this was that I'd get some priceless pictures of Blake with the players and on the field - check! : )
My only other hope for the night (which surfaced only after I learned I'd be fielding foul balls) was that I wouldn't die. Seriously, death was pretty much my main concern. I knew the possibilities - falling down on national T.V., getting another fat lip and maybe losing a tooth or two, ruining the game for whatever it's worth (going for a live ball), but the overriding concern was pretty much death. And apparently, I wasn't being unreasonable because during my quick tutorial, that point was clearly honed in by the staff ... my eyes must stay on the ball at all times, or else I may die! Haha. I am serious - that was their repeated disclaimer. Death. Needless to say, in my 15-some odd years of being with Rigo aka making baseball apart of my daily life, I have never watched a 9-inning game as intently as I did when I was the Ball Dudette for the Giants. In this case, it was for self-preservation, but I left having a new found respect for the game and for major league players. From my brief experience with the players, "professional" is an understatement. Thank you MLB and SF Giants. I am not sure how we'll top this Mother's Day - and a sincere thank you to all of you for voting.
(Oh, and believe it or not, NO foul balls were hit down the line!) : )

Life has been good. Sometimes, Rigo and I sit back and reflect on how far we've come in the last few years. I turned 30 in December. I keenly remember wondering during my treatment if I'd ever make it to my 30th birthday. Well, here we are. And life is oh so good. I still worry. A lot. I am pretty sure Rigo does too, a lot. We worry with time, we worry with aches and pains, we worry with appointments. But despite worrying "a lot," we no longer worry "all the time." There was a time, not too long ago, that cancer never left our thoughts. You can see from the last few months, while cancer is still an ever-present part of our lives, it has brought more happiness and unfathomable richness to my life than I could have ever imagined - Vera Bradley, lobbying (my nerdy passion), MLB, spending time with the dearest of friends, meeting new-kindred spirits, being inspired by grassroots advocates who volunteer their time and zealousness; and showing Blake a whole new world that is very, very pink!
Yes, life is good. And surprisingly, this journey is so much better than good (now)! I don't think I would change a thing.
On my third cancerversary, the day I was diagnosed, Valentine's Day, Vera Bradley, invited me to participate in their Fall 2010 Catalog. Yes, as a model (I know, the only modeling gigs I can line up are because I had breast cancer but I'll roll with it - hahaha)! I couldn't have even dreamt up a more "fairytale day" to spend with Rigo, in Sausalito, on a surprisingly clear day for the Bay, on Valentine's Day, celebrating survivorship! Barbara Bradley, one of the founders of the company, was on location and was so gracious to Rigo and I. She is one of the most humble and genuine women I have had the chance of meeting. Her amazing nature is evident in the work she does and all she gives to help make the lives of women facing breast cancer a little more brighter. Vera Bradley features a breast cancer collection to support their breast cancer foundation, and the collection happens to be a fabulous pattern! The makeup artist was classic and reminded me a lot of the wedding planner from Father of the Bride. Don't get me wrong, he was amazing, but classic all the same. The stylist was my favorite - one of those kindred spirits that just fills you with a sense of comfort and peace as soon as you meet; an instant connection. And the 'fotog and his crew were so sensitive and patient with me! The location was breathtaking and was complete with the motor home where the models would get transformed. It was unbelievable to be able to be part of such a production and I am forever grateful to Vera Bradley and my dear friend Heidi, for welcoming Rigo, Blake and I, to the Vera Bradley family.
My last post mentioned that I went up to Sacramento on behalf of the Central Valley Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure in early February. All seven of the California Affiliates came together with dozens of advocates and survivors, along with Komen National, to help make our event a huge success for all intents and purposes.
I met an amazing young woman last year, Carlie, who joined me on my day-trip to Sacramento. She and I asked our state leaders to make women in California a top priority and preserve the Every Woman Counts Program during the heated budget negotiations that are currently underway.
The update as to the EWC Program is that we have had over overwhelming support for the program by leaders in both the assembly and senate. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean we have found a solution to protect the program from severe cuts in funding, thereby threatening the continued existence of the program which serves California's most vulnerable women (and quite simply, saves lives). Nonetheless, the California Komen Affiliates are continuing their efforts to ensure that the EWC Program fully reinstates services to ensure that women ages 40 and over receive annual mammograms if they can't afford one otherwise.
In April, my BFF and co-survivor, Leslie Soley and I, traveled to Washington, DC, to be a part of the Komen National Lobby Days. Aside from the fact that Leslie and I spent a fabulous week together - shopping, dining and visiting, we are grateful that we had the opportunity to meet with various Congressmen from the Central Valley, along with representatives from Senator Boxer and Feinstein's office. The lobbying call by breast cancer advocates and survivors was to highlight the need to ensure that women and men receive the best available screening methods and treatments even though health care reform has passed. Much more work needs to be done to win the war against breast cancer. Simply put, I loved my time in DC; there is a certain magic to the city, the aura , the history, the passion and the beauty. And I count my blessings that I am fortunate enough to head east to raise awareness about something so close to my heart.
Thanks to all my family, friends and perhaps the stranger or two, that took the time to vote for me to win MLB's "Going to Bat Against Breast Cancer" Mother's Day Honorary Bat Girl for the SF Giants. Wow. What an amazingly unforgettable experience for not only me, but for my entire family! Initially, I had hoped Rigo and I would get some sweet seats behind home plate to enjoy the game. But then the call came ... not only would I not be sitting with my family during the game, I would actually be on the third baseline as the Ball Dudette ... in a full baseball uniform! Considering I haven't put a glove on since I was 9 years old (and I quit softball after I got a fat lip), this Ball Dudette component quickly became one of the most nerve-racking experiences of my life. In the week leading up to my Big League Debut, I received more "tips" from everyone (but mostly men) than I ever had before on any other endeavour - you know, when you're pregnant, buying your first home or a car, people love to tell you what you should or shouldn't do ... yes, apparently everyone knew about this Ball Dudette gig and yes, they all have a take on the best approach. Since I quite frankly didn't know squat about being a Ball Dudette, I was fully engaged in whether I should dive for the foul ball or not.
The entire experience was more than we could have ever imagined. My parents, brother, Rigo, Blake and I were invited onto the field for batting practice before the park even opened. We were given access to the clubhouse, the dugout, the players and the amazing crew that helps make this the greatest game ever. My only hope when I threw my name in for this was that I'd get some priceless pictures of Blake with the players and on the field - check! : )
My only other hope for the night (which surfaced only after I learned I'd be fielding foul balls) was that I wouldn't die. Seriously, death was pretty much my main concern. I knew the possibilities - falling down on national T.V., getting another fat lip and maybe losing a tooth or two, ruining the game for whatever it's worth (going for a live ball), but the overriding concern was pretty much death. And apparently, I wasn't being unreasonable because during my quick tutorial, that point was clearly honed in by the staff ... my eyes must stay on the ball at all times, or else I may die! Haha. I am serious - that was their repeated disclaimer. Death. Needless to say, in my 15-some odd years of being with Rigo aka making baseball apart of my daily life, I have never watched a 9-inning game as intently as I did when I was the Ball Dudette for the Giants. In this case, it was for self-preservation, but I left having a new found respect for the game and for major league players. From my brief experience with the players, "professional" is an understatement. Thank you MLB and SF Giants. I am not sure how we'll top this Mother's Day - and a sincere thank you to all of you for voting.
(Oh, and believe it or not, NO foul balls were hit down the line!) : )
Life has been good. Sometimes, Rigo and I sit back and reflect on how far we've come in the last few years. I turned 30 in December. I keenly remember wondering during my treatment if I'd ever make it to my 30th birthday. Well, here we are. And life is oh so good. I still worry. A lot. I am pretty sure Rigo does too, a lot. We worry with time, we worry with aches and pains, we worry with appointments. But despite worrying "a lot," we no longer worry "all the time." There was a time, not too long ago, that cancer never left our thoughts. You can see from the last few months, while cancer is still an ever-present part of our lives, it has brought more happiness and unfathomable richness to my life than I could have ever imagined - Vera Bradley, lobbying (my nerdy passion), MLB, spending time with the dearest of friends, meeting new-kindred spirits, being inspired by grassroots advocates who volunteer their time and zealousness; and showing Blake a whole new world that is very, very pink!
Yes, life is good. And surprisingly, this journey is so much better than good (now)! I don't think I would change a thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment