Monday, October 12, 2009

Two Years Ago TODAY!

Two years ago today, I became cancer-free and have been ever since! On October 12, 2007, when little Blake was a mere 12-weeks old, Rigo and my parents held my hand as I was rolled into the operating room at Stanford Medical Center for a bilateral mastectomy.

Whew, what a two years it has been. What a wonderfully blessed two-years! I would be lying if I said that there were days which I doubted if I'd ever make it through the recovery of that surgery or my cancer journey, but all-in-all, I feel fabulous!

In the recovery room following my mastectomy, my surgeon informed Rigo and I that while the tumor had shrunk from the neo-adjuvent chemotherapy (nearly 10 months of it), a small residual tumor remained. Nonetheless, removing my breasts ensured that the mass of cancer cells were removed from the body! Woohoo!

Two years ago, I met NED (no evidence of disease).

This is such a difficult concept to explain. My mother asked me today, "are you sure?" Simple answer is "NO." We are not sure I am cancer-free, but at this point (all my fellow attorney friends), there is no EVIDENCE of disease! Hence, go on and live, laugh and love! And that is exactly what I am doing. (Side note: While corporate America has done wonders in advancing the breast cancer awareness movement during the month of October, it needs to be said that there is NO CURE FOR BREAST CANCER as of today. That is why I do not claim I am "cured" rather I live, laugh and love with NED!)

On Saturday, I ran 7 miles. Today I ran 4 miles. I am living.

Last night at dinner at a local Mexican restaurant, Blake pulled out his hand from under the table and proudly showed us a little surprise he had in store for us. Yes, the beans don't sit so well with him. He literally had a handful of his own *$!@. I am laughing.

Rigo, you are my friend, my rock and my love. I am loving.

Life is good.

Two years later, life is still good. We made it babe!

1 comment:

  1. i was just thinking of you today and thought i would see if you had posted...you are amazing. that is all there is to it. enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete