Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day "dah-dah"

One year ago today, I was celebrating the impending birth of our first born at a baby shower given to me by my mom and mother-in-law and sister-in-law. The Milagros (Grandma Margarita calls Blake our miracle of God - Cardinal Rule - Don't argue with Grandma Margarita) that was yet to be. And now as we are winding down from this weekend's festivities, I am back on the blog to write and share what a wonderful experience this motherhood thing has been. Today was my first Mother's Day and while it is probably just another chance for corporate America to make some more money and average Americans to go into debt another few hundred bucks (yes Ma, I agree with you on that point), today was a huge triumph for Blake, Rigo and I.

Happy's Mother's Day "dah-dah." That's it ... that is what we get with our little buster brown at this point. As we embark on Blake's 10-month birthday, we are privy only to "dah-dah" and now, "bah." Nope, Blake can't quite say "mama" yet. I was banking on a Mother's Day "mama." Now that would be my Milagros of a child - "mama" on Mother's Day! Well, things didn't quite work out that way today, but nonetheless ... I am one PROUD Mama!

Blake is 19 pounds, getting his third tooth and has had 4 haircuts! He is one fast army-crawler and his happiest with Tiki at his side or his best bud Kolton giving him one-on-one attention. Blake is full of curiosity at this age and getting into as much as his little legs and arms can get him into. We are in swimming classes right now and are in the works for the big First birthday. Everyday is truly a new adventure and nothing seems to repeat itself. It is all new ... to Blake, Mom and Dad ... the true essence of Rookies - first time parents! But things couldn't be better and life is good. More on that to come ...

Saturday we rose at 2am to get on the road to Sacramento for Blake's second Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Rigo, Blake and I ran the 5k in about 32 minutes ... what a victory for me. Seriously, when I think about it for too long, I get teary-eyed.

Last year, May 2007, Rigo took me to the Sacramento Race for the Cure when I was about 7 months pregnant and 5 months into chemo and we walked the 5k course. This weekend was a monumental milestone for our little family to reach. As the three of us darted (okay, drug) across the finish line on Saturday morning, the three of us in a pink sea of 25,000 participants deep, we stood together as a family united against this demon like never before. Last year's race when we crossed the finish line, my frail but very pregnant body, my hopeful but worn down spirit and my rock of a husband but a husband who ached for his wife's pains, the two of us we telling cancer and telling the world at the same time that "We'll be back ... don't count us out yet."

Well, 2008 and we are back. We are now three and we are stronger than ever! The three of us crossed that finish line and told cancer "YOU LOST!" Saturday morning for the two-nanoseconds that we got to own that finish line, we had a moment to tell cancer and tell the world that "cancer has nothing on our family. Rigo and I are not letting anything, anyone or any lame disease get in our way of making a damn good life for Blake." Okay, so there are a lot of things that I want to tell cancer when cancer and I get a chance to sit down and chat, but for the sake of never dealing with cancer again, let's just say it was a Shutout on Saturday.

Ledezma 1-Cancer 0.

Thanks Foret and Andres for being the best cheerleaders we could have hoped for!

Much love to my dear cousin, my dear friend and my true inspiration Sonia for inviting us to join her and her family at the 5th Annual Latinas Contra Cancer Walk in San Jose. This was a beautiful event with a priceless message to my true survivor sisters.

And finally, Mama, thank you. Thank you for your love, commitment, strength and support over the last year. The things you have had to do over the last year, no mother should have to do that for their child. It pains me in ways I could never imagine before and now that I am a mother to think of what you have had to go through with me over the last year. It pains me even more to think that mothers have to walk the same steps every day. Tomorrow, a mother will learn her daughter has cancer.

Mom, I hate that you had to waste even one day being on this cancer crusade with me - your positive energy, your optimistic spirit, your rays of sunshine are much more deserving of your dotting grandchildrens company. But I have to say, since neither you or me were given a vote to get on this train, we like so many other families are just thrown on board, I can't begin to tell you how glad I am you didn't jump off the train. Ugh, the keeping track of all my pills, bringing me coffee in bed, making sure I had the most current gossip magazines, changing Blake's diapers, doing the countless loads of our laundry, and lets not forget the cookies. It never ends. Thank you for keeping my house, my family, my life in order. I love you. Happy Mother's Day Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment