Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Heading Towards the Finish Line ... For Now!

So today I completed my fifth round of chemo. This has been going on for about 15 weeks now. I only have ONE more cycle left, so three more weeks for me! I really can't believe it ... I am just about done with this first hurdle! Woohoo!

It has been quite a ride ... thank you all for traveling it with me. The last few weeks have been uneventful "cancer-wise." Rigo and I chat about how relieved we are that none of my treatments have gotten delayed (because of too low of counts, sickness, etc.). That has been a relief just to stay on track. I rather not string this along and just get it all over with as soon as possible. On the other hand, I know the road ahead will be much more difficult than what I have been through so far ... that is a little nerve-racking, but hey, gotta do what ya gotta do.

I am awfully anxious to get the Stanford appointment over with to discuss surgery options, but in the meantime, I am busy doing my internet research and reading all my books. I am pretty clueless about the path I'll decide to take with reconstruction primarily, but I hope to gather all the information available before I get to the appointment. I will update you all as soon as I learn more from the doctor.

Chemo today was fine. I had a wonderful surprise from my pharmacist's son ... he was at the Relay for Life and produced a short film of my little speech I gave ... "Saying it Outloud" starring the one and only ... hehehehe! I haven't seen it yet, but I sure hope he got my good-side ... and yes, that is very hard to find now-a-days! What a thoughtful gesture ... thanks!

My hemoglobin is extremely low, which results in extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, numbness in the fingers and toes, etc. Yes, I have them all, but I am nearly 8 months pregnant too so I hate to complain about these side-effects. My doctor suggested today that I will likely get a blood transfusion this week to supplement my red blood supply. Sorta strange for me, I mean the idea of a transfusion. I feel fine ... I mean I have absolutely no pain whatsoever. I am tired, yeah. I nap every single morning and afternoon. But that is near-paradise if you ask me ... daily naps, life is good! But now, a transfusion. Hmm ... it isn't for sure at this point because my oncologist is checking with my ob/gyn, but nonetheless, it sorta threw me for a loop. In the meantime, bring on the naps!

Baby news ... ah, the highlight of this journey. He is doing great! I think "he" is closer to becoming "Blake" by the day! Yes, Blake did not win American Idol, so Rigo and I are free to snatch that name. We have a lot of favorites, which may or may not become the baby's name, but in the meantime we call our baby boy "Blake." Now it's time for us to turn to middle names ... taking all suggestions!

He is moving all the time. My dad and I caught Shrek 3 over the weekend and this kid kicked from start to finish ... he either loves Eddie Murphy or the movie was a tad bit too loud for him. Either way, I once again was one proud mama! It blows our mind to think he will be here is 6 or 7 weeks ... so much of me cannot wait, but there is a sliver of me that wants to scream "ahhhh!" Just the thought of meeting him makes me giddy! Lame, I know ...

Rigo wraps up with school in a few weeks. He is working summer school, but should have more time for the most part. Baseball ended a week or two ago, but summer ball is nearly in full swing. As much as I love being pregnant during baseball season (hello, snack bar food, including burnt hot dogs ... yum), I don't think I will be able to make many games. The Fresno heat is getting to me already ... it is barely May and I struggle to go outside. Yes, baby and I will be spending a lot of "inside" time, but that doesn't exclude the mall! : ) He is getting pretty excited about the baby now that he can feel him a lot more. That is one of my favorite things, to see the look on Rigo's face when he feels him kick ... that proud daddy face!

Thank you all for those prayers, thoughts and messages. I will keep these updates coming over the next few weeks even once chemo ends to keep track of the baby news. In the meantime, please do not worry about us, life is good, we are good.

1 comment:

  1. Saw this online and thought of you...
    Always, Lara

    A POEM FOR CANCER SURVIVORS! Victim or Survivor? Being a Victim is a state of body. Being a Survivor is a state of mind. A Victim fears their hair falling out from chemotherapy. A Survivor knows bald is beautiful. A Victim knows about feeling down. A Survivor knows feeling down is okay. A Victim is amazed at all the tears. A Survivor never leaves home without Kleenex. A Victim goes to 'see' a doctor. A Survivor 'consults' with his or her physician. A Victim gets caught in despair. A Survivor prays a lot. A Victim feels helpless. A Survivor says 'thanks' with dignity and grace. A Victim enjoys a good laugh. A Survivor LOVES one. From the moment we are diagnosed with cancer, we are victims.

    We must CHOOSE to be SURVIVORS.

    ReplyDelete